FreeBSD engineering team has released FreeBSD ver 9.0. This is the first release from the stable/9 branch, which improves on stable/8 and adds many new features.
New features in FreeBSD 9.0
- A new installer,
bsdinstall(8)has been added and is the installer used by the ISO images provided as part of this release
- The Fast Filesystem now supports softupdates journaling
- ZFS updated to version 28
- Updated ATA/SATA drivers support AHCI, moved into updated CAM framework.
- Highly Available Storage (HAST) framework.
- Kernel support for Capsicum Capability Mode, an experimental set of features for sandboxing support.
- User-level DTrace
- The TCP/IP stack now supports pluggable congestion control framework and five congestion control algorithm implementations available .
- NFS subsystem updated, new implementation supports NFSv4 in addition to NFSv3 and NFSv2.
- High Performance SSH (HPN-SSH).
- Flattened device tree (FDT), simplifying FreeBSD configuration for embedded platforms.
- The powerpc architecture now supports Sony Playstation 3.
- The LLVM compiler infrastructure and clang have been imported.
- Gnome version 2.32.1, KDE version 4.7.3