Some of the notable features in GIMP 2.7.0 are as follows :
- Text editing with text tool is done in the canvas like you do in Adobe Photoshop and not in a separate window.
- Tag support for brushes and patterns. And you can even filter these resources based on the tags.
- You can save your images in only one format namely the native GIMP file format (XCF). If you want to save in a different file format such as PNG or Jpeg, you have to use the "Export" feature.
- GIMP now supports rotating brushes.
- Additional features of GEGL incorporated.
- A new plugin for loading Jpeg2000 images.
Please note that GIMP 2.7 is a development release and is considered unstable. However, if you decide to install GIMP 2.7 in Linux, you have to compile it from its source code which can be downloaded at ftp.gimp.org.
GIMP team also rolled out GIMP 2.6.7 which provides lots of bug-fixes, and it contains an important fix for using GIMP with the latest GEGL and babl releases. Read the full release notes for GIMP 2.6.7.