Every once in a while, I come across an interesting article which is not directly related to Linux in any way but which I find really informative and is hard to pass up. This is one such post. In any institution whether it is big or small, there are certain protocols to be followed and even if one is only working there as an intern should not be excuse enough to go slack on the rules.
Kerry Miller describes 10 mistakes that interns normally make while working at a firm. To summarize, these are the 10 don'ts (s)he talks about.
- Don't be late to work. Be right on time every time.
- Don't go to work dressed in casuals. Wear formal clothes.
- Don't make unnecessary use of cell phones, music players or other distracting objects during office hours.
- Shrug off your shyness. Developing good interpersonal skills and maintaining eye contact while speaking are a definite plus for landing that permanent job.
- Don't skip the office party. Socializing with the full time employees will send the right message about your work-life balance.
- Be mentally prepared to do mundane tasks. It is expected of you.
- Don't be afraid of venturing outside your allotted space. Networking with people in other departments will hold you in good stead.
- Don't be afraid to clarify your doubts about your work or ask for help from your superiors.
- Have a positive view of criticism. And learn to accept it in the right spirit.
- And finally... don't waste time.